Moving to a new home can be exciting and stressful at the same time. In most cases, people usually move due to the following reasons: job relocation, up-sizing a home, new marriage, retirement, neighborhood changes, pursuing a new dream or goal, etc.
According to the US Census Bureau, Americans have an average of 11.4 moves in their lifetime. In moving to a new home, you will have the opportunity to start fresh and decorate your new place in your own style. However, some people experience a wave of apprehension as they dread their actual moving day.
Luckily, there are ways in which you can achieve a stress-free and hassle-free move. All you will need to do is to follow these steps and thoroughly enjoy your new home:
- Always do your research – this will help you a lot from what type or size of moving truck you should be using, to the things you will be needing for the day of the actual move.
- Make a packing plan and write everything down – list all the things that you have to do and organize it via a timeline. Include in your list all the packing supplies that you will need, like the following: lots of boxes and packing tape.
- Declutter – clear out all unwanted and unnecessary items before you move to your new home. The less stuff you have, the less stress you will also have to endure during your actual moving day.
- Pack early – this will greatly help you to organize everything. Set small goals each day, each week and up until to your moving day. This will profusely help you reduce all your worries as you get near to your move.
- Organize – keep similar things together such as books, kitchen stuff, light bulbs, etc. Organize everything in boxes and put labels in each box. By doing this, it will also be much easier for you to find everything you need when you start unpacking.
- Keep all valuables safe – gather all your valuable possessions like jewelry, family heirlooms, accessories, etc and put them all together in a suitcase or a sealed box.
- Take time to clean – allot time ahead of your move where you can clean the house you are moving to. This will also give you ample time to assess the property and avoid some nasty surprises on the day of your move.
- Ask for help – let’s face it, you will not be able to do it all by yourself. Asking for help from your friends or family will go a long way. Another option to help you lessen your burden is by hiring professional movers to help you with your stuff.
- Do not rush – it can be quite understandable if you would want all things to be done as soon as possible. However, it can be pretty exhausting and energy consuming if you rush things. Be realistic on how much you want things to get done, keep in mind that it will be unlikely to unpack everything during your first night.